1. Learn to love your job
2. Many people come without computer background. Better to read at least this book.
Software Engineering: A Practitioner’s Approach [Hardcover]
Roger Pressman (Author)
3. Understand tools we use day to day
Example: Putty, Shell Scripts, PERL Scripts, Unix Commands, FTP
SOAP UI, JMeter for Web Service Testing, Load Testing
Other UI Testing Tools like Charles, YSlow, …etc
4. Learn about Agile Methodology.
Familiar with JIRA, Bug Tracking Tools
6. Familiar your self with SEI CMM Process
7. Attend local Meetup Groups.
8. Improve communication skills by attending Toast Masters
9. Familiar with technologies of project
10. Get certified in domain knowledge